Wednesday, January 4, 2012

This Kitchen Needs a Little Love

This will be the first in a series.  I want to document as I go.  I know that you will agree when I say that people tell me I am nuts to be concerned with a kitchen in a rental apartment.  My response to this is that I have to live with this kitchen every day just as any homeowner does.  I am doing as much of it myself as I possibly can.  I have employed the help of a few friends and neighbors as well.  My kitchen is attached to the living/dining area.  So I do not have the luxury of closing a door to avoid it.  I do like the fact that I can be cooking or doing dishes a still be in the same room with my girls.

Here is what we are starting with.  As you can see, I am playing around with color, which I do quite a bit more than a normal person :).  My kids' joke is that they go to bed and the apt is one color.  When they awaken it is a completely different hue.



I understand that this is nice wood.  I can appreciate that.  But if you know me or have even read my blog once you are aware that it is just not my style.  



I was not planning for these pics to be before shots so please excuse the mess as well as poor quality on the one below.  

This is the view from the living/dining room.  



So I started out by painting the walls.  They are better than the chiffon yellow but I am not that happy with the color I chose.  I may change that, but that is pretty easy since the room is tiny.  Then I moved on to the cabinets.  This proved to be the most difficult part by far.  If I actually dragged you through all of the hideous details you may cry, so let's not risk that.   I did not do an outstanding job at all.  But in my opinion, it is a vast improvement.  I painted them white and added new stainless steel looking hardware.  I know also that hardware can be terribly costly.  I went to Home Depot and found these very simple and affordable hinges.  Eventually I would like to add picture frame moulding to the cabinets.  But for now this is just fine.


View from the hallway

I then added wainscoting to the underside of the kitchen counter.  I painted it a shade of white that I am pretty happy with called Mountain Peak White by Benjamin Moore, same color as the cabinets.  It took quite a few coats of paint, and could probably stand to have a few more.  But the difference it made to the room visually cannot be overstated!


So, the next step is the lighting.  Here is what is currently in place.  


And here is the photo from Mothology in New York for the pendants which I am replacing these beauties with.  My stepfather is making the "box" from which they will hang and will bring it to me in February when he and my mom visit next.  Cannot wait!  They were sold out of the far left one.  I had hoped for one of those and two of the hobnail, or center ones.  So, impatient as I can be, I chose three of the latter.  Aren't they beautiful?  I love that mercury glass is dubbed "poor man's silver."


The next step will be the most glaring offense, the countertops.  I have chosen oak.  I like the feel of butcher block.  But I am especially drawn to the darker color of oak.  I need to do a bit more research, and saving of funds ;) for this part but I have plenty to do in the meantime.  And in a perfect world I would like an apron sink.


  This is not a one week project...or even one month.  I am enjoying the process as opposed to rushing to the finish line.  Isn't that the point?  

xo
Michele

18 comments:

  1. Hi~ It looks so much better:)

    Great job.
    xo~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You've been a busy bee, Michele! That is one incredible transformation, girl! It looks so much brighter and happier in there now. Luv those lights!! You're not alone dreaming of an apron sink, either. It's on my wish list, too. :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE the changes so far!! :) Wow such a difference Michele~ I cant wait to see it with the new lights~ xoxo Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele you don't even know how much of an encouragement you are to me today! My 'big' project for 2012 is to finally paint our kitchen oak cabinets white. Your transformation is amazing!!!! what a difference it makes. And you know what? as much as I can see why you don't like your tile counter tops they look so much better with the white cabinets and pale blue/grey walls. They actually blend well with the grass weaved stools and wicker baskets. I think I would choose to just live with them. You can always place some nice long white platters or such to cover them up a bit more. I LOVE those pendant lights. Oh my goodness they are like 'sweeter than candy'! I believe I will even try the white paint you used...see if it goes in our cottage. And you know what else...I do not think you are crazy to do all this to a rental. We have always transformed our rentals as if we owned them too. It is not a waste. Our world would be a more beautiful place if everyone took care of their homes whether they own or rent. We are planning on getting the farmhouse sink from Ikea one day. You may want to look into them as well. They are more affordable than most. ox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your kitchen! I have some big painting jobs to get done too that I have wanted to finish since we moved here four years ago. Thank-you for inspiring me to get to work!! :)
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...Michele...I am amazed. I want to grab a brush and paint our cabinets! Your pendant lamps...pure art! Your post is so inspiring! You are fortunate that your landlord will allow you to paint the cabinets. However, it is your landlord that is most fortunate to have you as a renter! You are taking the ordinary and making it extraordinary! Bravo!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks ladies. I appreciate your comments. I am looking at the ikea sink as well as their wood countertops. And I have lovely landlords who are happy to allow me to fix it up. I never thought about the countertops blending with the stools and the baskets but that is a good point. I will repost in Feb as soon as I get the pendants up. have a great day and thanks for taking the time to stop by and give me some feedback.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, Michelle, I'm amazed in an apartment you were allowed to paint the cabinets, nice landlords! Second, isn't it amazing what a little paint will do? It looks sooooooooo much better! We moved into a similar looking kitchen in our home, and my husband painted the cabinets white and added nickle hardware and the change literally brightened my spirits every time I walk into it. I love what you've done so far, and the little peek into the rest of your home looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! You go girl, this is quite the transformation and I'm sure your landlord is LOVING you! Good for you for taking it on in a rental, how we feel about our spaces makes a huge impact upon our well being.
    Visiting from Houzz and your newest follower
    Cathy @ Room Rx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello new *friend* saw you on Houzz and just loved it all! Can't wait to get to know you better

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by from Houzz... You're making great progress in your kitchen! Nice blog, too. I'll be following. I hope you'll stop by My Place when you have a minute. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw your pics in houzz....very nice! I would love to paint mine ad well but have heard horror stories...is it really hard??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for coming to my blog! Following you too now~and happy to see you painted the cabs. I painted all mine too!! What a difference, rental or not, you gotta do what makes it liveable feel nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think you are crazy to do all that work on a rental. My friend became a single mom and moved to an apt. 7 yrs ago. She did the same as you with the kitchen, put in a faux mantel and hung a chandelier in the dining area and painted throughout. She's still there and still happy with the home she made for herself and her daughter. I'm a member now because I like your attitude! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! what a difference...!!! and i love the light fixtures you picked out, they'll be a gazillion times prettier!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks great! I rent, also...so I understand the desire to make it "yours." I need to do a few things around my place, too. Thanks for sharing!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can see the transformation... i love the decorative classy lights and the counter top... great work here

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its amazing how touch ups on the littlest fixtures can give a new look to the kitchen... Great Post

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit. I really love to hear from you....