Monday, April 25, 2011

my white linen slipcovered sofa



I have wanted a new sofa for quite a long time...a white one.  I could not find exactly what I wanted.  So I decided to try to make one...by hand.   I am not a seamstress and do not even own a sewing machine.  When I mentioned this plan to people, they looked at me as if I had nine heads.  I was instructed to make it in muslin first.  As I found a beautiful heavy white linen, I just started out.  I knew I could do it.  I went into this with the attitude that it would take a long time, extensive use of the seam ripper, and undying patience.  The other thing I had to keep in mind is that I did not want perfection.  I am pretty happy with the outcome.



definitely not perfect but quite an improvement




i am not a great photographer but like the morning light in my living room


i wanted grain sack pillows.  so i went to my favorite flea market and made them myself

I am almost finished making slipcovers for my dining chairs
will share those soon

take good care
MC

9 comments:

  1. Perfect. Exactly what I want. How the heck did you figure out how to do this if you don't even know how to sew? I want to do this. I love the wrinkled linen. I want fabric that can be washed and hung on the line - no ironing. What linen did you use? Can you tell I'm loving it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there. thank you so much. i just knew i could do it. I simply measured the different cushions on my couch and then cut the linen and sewed it by hand. for the arms and skirt i literally sewed the cover while on the sofa. i used heavy duty thread. and i found this fabulous linen at a discount fabric store in sf. i covered my dining chairs in the same fabric. i also just made my sister in law a ruffled linen tablecloth out of this fabric. you can see it if you go to my etsy site called maisondemichele. it really was not hard. i did go into it though with the attitude that it would not be perfect which it is not. i am happy to help you in any way that i can. and believe me, if i can do it so can you.

    best,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed that you made the cover by hand!! WOW! LOVE it.. Rachel

    www.shabbyfrenchforme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks. It really was not hard. Just took some patience. But I was so excited about it and the time flew by.

    MC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog and I'm lovin the white sofa. You did a fabulous job on it. I sew and I don't think I could even have it come out near as great as yours looks. -Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressive! You are talented...I could never accomplish this. It is beautiful in the morning light and looks super comfy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats so cute!!.. your sofa is so cute!! actually your complete home is really nice.. I would like to do the same.. I will start then will let u know if any help is needed...I know ull help out !!..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy Cow! I cannot believe you made this by hand. Amazing. Making me feel like Maine I could make some little slips for a couple of chairs. Hmmm...

    Www.hollyabston.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many typos! I meant that this makes me feel like I could make some little slips for chairs. Haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit. I really love to hear from you....